Last week was the first week I used Twitter for this course. I have mostly been interacting with @eme2040's tweets. I have been replying to their questions as well as reading responses other students have written to their questions also. Twitter may be helpful in my future career as a popular way to keep students updated on homework and assignments, or a simple way to get students involved in answering thought-provoking questions.
The digital divide can create a huge gap between students in schools. Those that have access to the internet are more likely to have the resources they need to succeed in school. Causes of the digital divide come from students' socioeconomic status at home. Those students that may be on the poor side may not have access to the internet or a computer at home. This could lead to them not being able to look up something for school, read articles, and more. On the other hand, the students that have extensive access to computers and the internet at home will have every resource they need to succeed. As a teacher this will make it difficult to create assignments all students have the resources to complete successfully. I will have to make sure I treat everyone equally. Maybe if the assignment is to read an article online, I can provide a handout of the article to those students that do not have access to the internet at home.
If I were a second grade teacher, the type of student software I would use the most is educational games. This provides a fun and entertaining way for students to practice the lesson so they will stay engaged and intrigued. The software type I would use the least are tutorials. Tutorials provide the learning content to students solely over the computer in a multimedia format. I would rather teach the learning content to students in class and give them a software to the material practice with. I feel that face to face interaction is important when first learning new content. This way the teacher can see right before his/her eyes what his/her students might be struggling with in case they need to provide further instruction or help.
Face-to-face interaction is surely very important. However, online technologies have been exploring to solve this issue and striving to provide the authentic learning experience to students. For example, using learning analytics to identify the cognitive problems that students is facing, eye-tracking technologies and other emotional computation technology to identify the affective challenges.
ReplyDelete