Thursday, September 7, 2017

Blog Journal 1


What influences teachers and students to use technology in the classroom mainly revolves around facilitating the lesson being taught/learned. Technology can be used in many forms like Powerpoint presentations and games that can help teachers teach more effectively and students learn more effectively. Technology in the classroom can reinforce a lesson, promote thinking, creativity, and communication in students, addresses diversity, can check a student's understanding of the material, and prepare students for all the technology they will use today in the 21st century.

Out of the ISTE standards for educators, the one standard that is most meaningful to me is being a leader. It is so important to be able to guide and empower students to develop them into the best life-long learners. The one standard that seems outside my current skill set is being an analyst. Analyzing data is not one of my strong suits, but I hope this class will help me with that so when I become a teacher I can use data to help lead my instruction and support my student's educational goals.

I personally do believe in the label "digital native" for today's youth. To be digitally native, it means that one grew up using technology so in a sense using technology comes easy to them because they are so used it. In the classroom I notice a difference between myself, a digital native, and the teachers, digital immigrants. In my high school every classroom was equipped with a SmartBoard. There would be times where the teachers would struggle to power it on or get it so they could use the special pen to write on it. They would ask for a student's help in my class and my peers could do it instantaneously. This just took time away from our lesson, so we had less time to learn the material that class period because my teachers would struggle with the technology. In the future I honestly do not anticipate much of a difference between me and my students and how we use technology. I grew up a digital native and so are they, so we should be pretty close in skill.




3 comments:

  1. I too struggle with the standard that requires teachers to analyze data. I would not know how to do this if I had to teach today. I think that it is interesting that you don't anticipate there being a difference between how our generation uses technology and how the future generation will use technology. I have wondered whether there will be or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that digital native is an accurate term. For me, I think that technology became really important and relevant when I was in elementary/middle school. The kids today were born into it. While we did grow up around a lot of technology, these kids were surrounded by it since birth. I think that by the time we are teachers that we will have more technological advances but that teachers and students will be on an equal playing field as far as knowledge with technology goes. Also, this is Mary Milne, I'm not sure how to make it say my name

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had similar experiences with my teachers in high school and even middle school, who would struggle with technology at times. This would take time away from the lesson and interrupt the flow of learning. I agree, as well with the term digital native and feel it accurately reflect us youths. I also thought that the standard to analyze would be outside my skill set at this time. But I know over time I should be able to gather the skills to properly implement those standards.

    ReplyDelete