Sunday, November 5, 2017

Blog Journal 9

"The Flipped Classroom" is a classroom that utilizes videos as a primary source for students to learn from. It flips the way students spend their class time. Rather than listening to the teacher lecture and instruct during class and then going home to practice for homework, they are given an instructional video to watch for homework before class and the next day they practice with the teacher during class. Here is a link to educational videos for the classroom: https://www.ted.com/watch/ted-ed.

The "open" terms mentioned in the podcast include open education, open content, and open source. Open education refers to making educational experiences available to everyone. Opportunities for education are often times restricted to higher classes with higher socio-economic statuses. Open education strives to make more schooling opportunities available to everyone of all classes and diversities. Open content refers to sharing resources and materials online with other teachers. Reuse, revise, remix, and redistribute is the basis of how to use open content. This is often restricted by copyrighted material, which limits content usage. Open content gives teachers an advantage to network and share successful lesson plans with one another. Open source refers to using softwares that are accessible to everyone to guide education. Not all softwares are available to everyone, some require that you buy them. Open software gives opportunities to everyone and does not restrict any social group. Here is a link to a website that allows for open content: https://www.oercommons.org. This website lets teachers make and share resources and lesson plans with one another.

I acquired new skills from working on the PowerPoint assignment. Before working on this assignment, I had no idea how to record a voice over a PowerPoint or change the master slides. Now I know how to record myself perfectly to each slide and change the layout of the master slides. I liked this assignment and felt it was helpful because as a teacher I imagine I will have to make a lot of PowerPoints to guide my lessons. Next time I can improve by going more in depth on my slides and my speaking. Here is a screenshot of the beginning of my PowerPoint:

No comments:

Post a Comment